Monday, January 19, 2009

Gordon James Beck 1996-2009




Today, I am heartbroken that our little dog Gordon passed away yesterday. He was 14 years old and had some health problems so I know he's in a better place but it's still hard. My parents are pretty upset about it, they loved the little guy tons.

I remember when we adopted Gordon. I had wanted a dog to live inside so badly - all of our dogs had always been outside dogs. There was an ad in the paper for a Welsh Corgi and I was so excited about it but on our way to see him, the lady called to say someone else had adopted him. I was upset about it but then a few days later, it was Valentine's Day, I went to the mall with my cousins and when I came home, I walked in the door and there, on the recliner, was a little blonde dog. He was so furry and a little damp from the two baths my parents gave him after picking him up from the animal shelter. He looked exhausted and he was probably confused about what was going on. I think the first thing that came out of my mouth was "He's mine?"

Early on, my mom said 'okay but he's not allowed on the furniture' and then he would get up on the furniture and she said 'okay he can get on the furniture, but he's not allowed on the bed'. Once he started jumping on the bed, my mom said 'okay he can get on the bed, but not under the covers'. I'll let you guess how long that lasted.

We had only had Gordon for a year and a half and then I left for college to live on campus, my grandfather had just passed away and my dad had to start working the night shift. My mom was home alone at nights and I think it was weird for her. That was when we stopped calling Gordy our dog and he became my brother. My parents also gave him a middle name around that time, It made it more official that he was a member of the family.

I think we all had our moments with Gordy, the last few years when my parents went on vacation, they started taking Gordy with them. My dad most recently, was out of work for several months and was home all day with Gordon so they kept each other company. My parents got wood floors put in about a year ago and Gordon's nails on the floor would make this choo choo choo choo sound that sounded like a train and I started calling him the Gordon Express.

I'm sad that we've lost this caring little animal that loved us all unconditionally but I know he's in a better place. I like to think that Gordy was holding on to see me one more time when I came home for Christmas. When we were loading the car to take me back to the airport, I went back inside to say goodbye to Gordy because I thought it would probably be the last time I saw him. I told him I loved him and that I would always love hime and that he was a good boy.

Gordon was home with my parents and my grandmother and my mom said it was like he just laid down to go to sleep. My dad came up from the basement and could tell that he was gone. They wrapped him in a blanket and buried him next to Sandy and Nikita. He's gone but he'll always be in our hearts forever.

No comments: